For all you tie-dye fashion fans, this year brings good news! This colorful technique of designing garments has made a grand comeback in 2020. Spotted on multiple runways, designers like Versace, Christian Dior, and Prabal Gurung have all made a case for color using tie-dye in their spring/summer 2020 collections. The vibrant colors, artistic designs, and mesmerizing patterns are sure to catch anybody’s eyes.
Always been fascinated by this cool design? VoucherCodesUAE presents all you need to know about tie-dye fashion— its history, how-to DIY (Dye It Yourself) at home and our favorite tie-dyed picks from leading brands online.
History of Tie-Dye
Tie-dyeing is generally associated with hippies and their counterculture movement. This cool process of dyeing fabric first started getting popularized in the 1960s. Loose shirts in tie-dye prints were a significant part of the hippie clothing aesthetic that appeared in the 1960s in the US. The hippie movement is largely responsible for bringing tie-dye fashion to the attention of the people. This movement rejected the practices of mainstream American life and supporters wanted to stand out. They did so using vibrant colors and captivating designs of tie and dye.
However, this wasn’t when tie-dye fashion was first invented. Fashion historians argue that the art of tie-dyeing is an ancient process that has been used as early as the 6th Century in countries like India, Japan, Africa as well as other ancient civilizations that have a rich history of using the technique of coloring fabric. Silk and hemp were the common fabrics used for dyeing. But of course, it was not called tie-dyeing back then.
The term “tie-dye” came to be known as that because of the process of tying off sections of the fabric with string or rubber bands to make unique pattern designs. One of the reasons why this process is so unique is because the manual process of tie-dyeing results in no two designs that are the same. The possibilities are thus, much like fingerprints!
Tie-dye in 2020
Although tie-dye fashion reached its heights in the US during the counterculture movement, it soon went on to be widely popular all over the world. Recently, tie-dye has made its big, bold, and vibrant way back into the fashion world. Different types of DIY fashion were already taking over social media platforms by storm. In addition to that, the pandemic, quarantine, lockdown, and all of it together in 2020 have contributed to tie-dyes making a major comeback.
The reason why tie-dying is popular is that it requires supplies many people already have at home. You can get mesmerizing prints and designs using minimal supplies and not a lot of effort. DIY tie-dyeing has, in fact, become the latest quarantine trend— to the extent that search terms like “DIY tie-dye” and “tie-dye sweatsuit” surged in popularity on Google and YouTube especially during the last week of March, and tie-dye kits are reportedly among Amazon’s current best sellers.
How to make your own tie-dyes
(Reference source: WikiHow)
Here is a step by step procedure as to how you can tie and dye your old/unused clothes and turn them into trending fashion pieces at home:
- Spread your fabric on a clean, smooth surface.
- Depending on what pattern you want on your fabric, fold/twist accordingly. For a basic spiral print, pinch the center of the fabric with your thumb and two fingers.
- Twist the fabric in one direction while holding it down with your fingers. Keep your spiral as tight and flat as possible. As you continue to twist, the fabric should begin to form a spiral shape.
- With your free hand, close your spiral and keep pulling the outside end of your coil tightly so that your spiral is wound as tightly as possible.
- Band your spiral together using large rubber bands. Depending on the size, material, and thickness of the fabric, use as many rubber bands as you may deem necessary to hold the twisted fabric in place.
- Soak the fabric in a fixative solution. Doing this before dyeing will help the dye last longer and the color of your dyed shirt will stay bright for a longer period of time. Immerse the bundle of tied-up fabric in the fixative solution long enough to soak thoroughly. Once it is done, remove it from the fixative and squeeze out excess moisture. Wring it out so that it feels damp.
- Before dyeing, read the package instructions to mix the chemical dye. Follow the instructions carefully to create the best color. Handle the dye using plastic or rubber gloves to prevent it from staining your hands limit your chances of spreading the dye.
- Use a large plastic bucket as your dye bath. The water should be hot, but keep in mind, for some dyes, hot water produces strong colors while for others, hot water can actually cause the color to fade. Verify which type you have before proceeding. Stir the dye until completely and thoroughly dispersed.
- Soak the fabric for an appropriate amount of time. Every dye is different, so the exact amount of time you need to soak your fabric in the dye will vary. For commercial products, you need to always follow the listed instructions.
- To finish off the process, rinse your fabric in cool water. Continue rinsing until the water runs clear.
- Remove your fasteners. Using a pair of scissors, carefully cut the string or rubber bands from the fabric. Wash the fabric again using warm water and a mild, dye-free detergent to wash the fabric. Gently squeeze out extra water after the rinse.
- Dry as desired. And voila! There’s your own DIY (Did It Yourself) tie-dyed clothing you can now flaunt.
Shop for tie-dye kits from Amazon and experiment with your own designs and patterns. Use code “FIRST15” to avail yourself of an extra 15% off on your first order from Amazon.
How to sport the tie-dyed look
Normally, a tie-dyed top would look nice with a plain bottom and vice versa. While too many vibrant colors on both top and bottom wear may end up making your style look over-the-top, tie-dyed suits in subtle colors are definitely a yes. What actually started last summer as a DIY tie-dye fashion trend now has major brands producing tie-dyed products in 2020 on a large scale. These are our favorite picks from this chic trend:
Tie-Dye Printed Long Sleeve Blouse
This light blue Tie-Dye Printed Long Sleeve Blouse from 6th Street has a long sleeve and collared neck that give it a chic and stylish look. Team it up with matching pants and pumps to look your best.
Their collection of tie-dyed apparel for kids is also a must-have.
Dreamy Tie-Dye Dress
This long-sleeved maxi length tie-dyed dress from VogaCloset is made of tightly woven material and has a V-neckline with a wrapped front. It comes with a slit at the side, making it look stylish.
Tie-Dye Mesh Maxi Kimono
This Tie Dye Mesh Maxi Kimono from VogaCloset available in plus size is all you need to throw over your shorts and a spaghetti top this 2020 summer.
Pastel Tie-Dye Leggings
Get these Pastel Tie Dye Leggings from VogaCloset for a casual day out. You can even use it at the gym or during your workout sessions. Get these tie-dye items on Vogacloset.
Tie-Dye Crew Neck T-Shirt
A basic tie-dyed Crew Neck T-shirt is a must-have in your collection. This tee from Namshi is made of soft and comfortable rich cotton fabric— cool enough for the men’s summer fashion.
Use the code “SAVE” to get up to 35% off on clothing, sneakers, and more from Namshi. This code is valid for UAE and KSA users and on full-price items only.
Tie-Dye T-Shirt and Shorts Set
Like I said earlier, tie-dyes in subtle colors look cool even when worn both as top and bottom wear. This Tie Dye T-Shirt and Shorts Set for men is a cool and trendy pair for summer.
Tie-dye is used not only on clothing but also on other items like bedsheets, covers, curtains, tapestries, and many more. The trendy tie-dye effect and patterns make for a really cool bohemian style of decorating one’s room.
Tie-Dye Duvet Cover
This Tie Dye Duvet Cover from VogaCloset is an absolute favorite. It features pretty tassels in the corners. You can mix and match this duvet cover with different colors and designs to add your own unique style to the bedroom. Get it here.
Use our code “VCUAE” to get an extra 15% off on all orders from VogaCloset. This code is valid for UAE and KSA users.
Students have exceptional benefits altogether. There are special discounts exclusively for students. Check out these top brands offering student codes. Go get ‘em, students!
Visit VoucherCodesUAE for the best coupon codes and discounts online. There’s another cool way to grab amazing deals and discounts. Visit Couponbot.com and let the bot find you the best deals as you get access to hundreds of coupons right away! Chat with ChatBots and get the perfect coupon for you instantly!